Friday, July 28, 2023

Garden of Eden



"...As June turns into warm July, I think of little else but you..." ~Wendy Cope


Remember that winter?

Our cottage teeming with a redolent aroma

of old books and coffee. 


Remember our schedule?

Of how we were up all night, discussing 

Magic fairytales,

science and religion,

and the days 

in the farm, building our lives. 


Remember our dream?

Of us flying with angels to meet our maker, 

and him welcoming us

by saying, 

"Welcome back home, you crazy idiots!"


Remember that time?

When we wrote stories 

hoping it would become real. 

Some day. One day. 


Remember that night?

When you promised me an eternity

of fights, love, and craziness. 

And how I teased you by exclaiming, 

"How will I live with you for another second?"


Remember your last words?

"I got the early bird ticket, you idiot. 

And now I will be waiting for you in the garden of Eden. 

Come home soon."

And you left after winking at me. 


Of course, you remember everything. 

For who can love anyone like you love me?

I know you are waiting. 

Just keep waiting. 

And know, that I am on my way to you.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Absquatulate: The Word for When People Leave Without Saying Goodbye

I found this word by accident, on one of those "weird words in the English dictionary" lists you fall into at 1 a.m. when you shou...