And just like that, September slipped away, like one happy song we sometimes wish would never end. It came and went almost unnoticed. It's soft footsteps never made the floor creak even on languid afternoons when the days were drowsy and couldn't stifle a yawn.
How I wish I told him weeks back to stay for good, but I was too engrossed listening to the variety of nostalgic Christmas songs being played on repeat since the day he first knocked on my door with surprise gifts that made the kid in me ecstatic for days. I forgot he isn't staying for long or maybe I know but I was just in denial that I thought its going to make the days longer than they should.
Some days I wish the hours would stretch till eternity, so I could sit beside him as long as I want while we enjoy hot cocoa with bits of marshmallows by the window on drizzly mornings. And like the best of friends, we would giggle to no end as we will tell each other random stories and plans for Christmas while we watch the rain trickle lazily on windowpanes, then we will write our names with tiny hearts on the foggy glass.
This morning I was a bit under the weather knowing that September packed his suitcase last night and today is his last day with me. I wanted to make us a hearty breakfast, with his favourite bacon and eggs but we ended up having the longest, most quiet breakfast over oatmeal and brewed coffee. We ate in silence, my breathing shallow. I could feel the lump in my throat, stuck for a moment. I couldn't hush and stop the stubborn tear that fell on my cheek like a naughty kid.
I wanted to hug him Oh! so tight and tell him to stay longer but I know It's time for him to go. Somehow the thought that he's coming back again made the parting a little less bittersweet, it made my separation anxiety take a backseat as I heaved a sigh.
I guess it is not going to stick around that long for October to see.

Nice, to be continued?
ReplyDelete